Sanding! I had learned my lesson from the two Yamaha drums and I bought some sandpaper attachments for my drill and got to work. I do not recommend these attachments - they are extremely difficult to control and they don't work well in corners. But somehow I eventually sanded the entire finish down to bare wood. Then someone told me about stripper to remove existing finishes... a lesson hard learned that I will not soon forget.
I have always loved how dark stained woods look. It was obvious I would choose a dark stain. And now I honestly don't recall what this finish was called, but I know I did three layers of stain and two coats of polyurethane. I left the rails of the glockenspiel in the original finish at first because I was exhausted from sanding the case, but now I really love the two different finishes together.