It is a 1961 Slingerland Parade Bass Drum.
Its dimensions are 26" diameter by 10" depth.
After I did the initial sanding and decided to keep the original finish I came up with the following game plan:
- Fix the ply separation. Especically apparent between the mahogany shell and the maple reinforcement hoops.
- Sand the rough edges on the bearing edge that had been left exposed for years.
- Remove the remnants of inlay in the hoops and repaint them.
- Find matching replacment hardware for the tension rods and claws that were missing when I acquired the drum.
Patience paid off this time. Slow and steady movements with several pauses to check the consistency of my progress resulted in accurate edges.
My original plan for the hoops was to remove the remnants of the white marine pearl inlay, sand off the old paint, and to try and smooth out some spots. After removing the inlay and going over the hoops with the sander I found that the black paint that was under the inlay was almost perfect and left a nice stripe. I gave the wood a light ebony stain and finished with a coat of clear gloss polyurethane. Here are the results.
After Assembling the instrument I heard a very disturbing buzz coming from the lugs. I disassembled the instrument and wrapped felt around the springs inside each lug. That eliminated the noise and now the drum sounds fantastic.