Removing the wrap! So when I began I had no idea what I was doing - this was my first refurbishing project and I just jumped in and tried to learn as I go. I took off all the hardware and started at the edges of the white vinyl wrap but it turns out they glued it on! I grabbed a hair dryer and tried to melt the adhesive but in case you're not aware marching drums are built to withstand the hottest summer heat in direct sunlight AND unlike most drums they glue every part of the finish so this was going to take a loooong time. I got impatient and started pulling and scraping and tearing and spraying Goof Off for hours until finally all of the vinyl was off. Then even more Goof Off and scraping to get the adhesive off. Then I had a drink.
Sanding! I should start by saying I have recently bought an electric sander. This was years ago. I hand sanded this entire shell and it took weeks.
Drilling! I hate seeing re-purposed drums with extraneous holes so I enlarged the two holes that were originally used for eye bolts that attach to the harness. Once they were the appropriate size I put in chrome air vents to match the other existing air vents. Then I measured the distance between the lugs and bearing edge for the placement of the floor tom brackets. MEASURE TWICE DRILL ONCE. After all the holes were drilled and checked I began the finishing process.
Finshing! Step one: pick a color. I opted for Satin Black because I had just seen an episode of Pawn Stars where one of the characters bought a new car in Satin Black. It looked cool and I wanted that color. I carefully taped off the bearing edges, taped newspapers to cover the inside of the shell and put a lot of newspapers down on the garage floor. Then I started spray painting. BE PATIENT WHEN PAINTING. You do not want excess paint dripping and ruining the texture of the finish - do several light layers. Then I put a clear satin finish on top of that. Let dry for 48 hours and reassemble.
The drum is a little short for my height, hence the bed risers in the photo. The hardware I chose also allows this drum to be used as a large kick drum.