If you want to know the process of removing the existing finish look at my post about the Yamaha Bass Drum. But I'm going to skip that for this one. My goal for this drum was to try and make it a concert field drum and part of that was trying to make it look presentable on a concert stage. I've always thought black was a great color for any musical situation: works well for a jazz piano, death metal drum set, rock guitar, and concert snare drums. So I went for a glossy black - see previous post and replace the word "satin" with the word "gloss" if you want to know about the finishing process.
The other obsticle was this drum wasn't built for the subtleties expected of a concert field drum. I put on concert heads (Remo Renaissance Diplomat batter and Remo Diplomat Hazy snare side). The existing hardware was bulky and built for extreme tensions. I replaced the die cast marching hoops with single flange hoops and claws which made an astounding difference (I had them lying around after I decided my Pearl Rosewood Philharmonic sounded better with heavier hoops). Surprisingly the gut snares are so adjustable you can actually make a pretty great concert drum without replacing the strainer and the snares.
Voila! My own field drum for $8 worth of paint and two new drum heads. And hours of sanding of course.